To be admitted into the College of Education certification minor program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Major: Upper Division major in either the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Sciences with emphasis on critical-need teaching areas for Secondary Education, Grades 6-12.
- GPA: Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Praxis Exam: Passing scores on all 3 sections of the Praxis Core Knowledge Skills for Educators-Reading, Writing, and Mathematics or ACT composite of 22 or higher.
Once you are admitted into the program, you are required to complete the following Professional Education Courses (24 credits). No final grade below a "C' is accepted for any course required for certification.
- EDCI 450-Classroom Management and Instructional Design for Secondary Teachers
- EDFL 456-Classroom Assessment
- IRED 320-Technology in the Classroom
- PSYC 312-Adolescent Psychology
- READ 410-Teaching Content Literacy in the Secondary/Middle School
- READ 425-Teaching Reading in a Diverse Society
- SPED 391-Foundations of Special Education
- EDCI 4XX-Secondary School Subject Area Methods
You must submit passing Praxis scores for the Praxis Content Knowledge and the Principles of Learning and Teaching prior to enrolling in Student Teaching or a Teacher Internship.
- EDCI 485/487-Student Teaching/Teacher Internship for Certification Candidates
For additional questions, please contact the Office of Student Services at 337-482-6681.