Are you wondering what the Praxis Series Tests measure and why are you required to take these tests? The Praxis Series Tests are designed to measure your skills and knowledge. To pass the test, you need to be skilled, be knowledgeable, be prepared and confident, and be registered.
Remember, the Praxis Series Test requirements are different for the following programs:
The Praxis Series Tests are required for anyone who is applying for initial certification in Louisiana. The test consist of two parts:
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) -The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators measures academic skills in reading, writing and mathematics. They are designed to provide comprehensive assessments that measure the skills and content knowledge of candidates entering teacher preparation programs.
- Praxis II Subject Assessments -The Praxis II Subject Assessments measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that you need to begin teaching. Therefore, you are required to pass the subject-specific Content Knowledge (Ex. Elementary Education: Content Knowledge) and the grade-level-appropriate Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) (Ex. Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades K-6) test for your certification area.
Be knowledge about the Praxis Series Test name, test number, and qualifying scores needed for your certification area. Visit ETS-Louisiana Test Requirements to learn more about the requirements.
Be Prepared & Confident.
We are aware that you may be feeling stressed and overwhelmed while trying to prepare for the Praxis Series Tests. We are here to help relieve your stress, so relax. We have several resources available to help you to be prepared and to be confident that you will succeed in meeting the Praxis requirements for the Certification-Only Program and the Undergraduate Program.
Visit the Instructional Materials Center in Maxim Doucet Room 101 to check out test preparation books, visit ETS-Praxis Test Preparation to purchase and download the Praxis eBook created by ETS test-makers for your certification area, or visit LearningExpress Library to access free practice exams. After you create your free account, search the term "praxis" to access these practice exams.
Don't forget to register for the Praxis Series Tests. You can select the University of Louisiana at Lafayette as your testing center by visiting ETS-Registration,Test Centers and Dates.
Admission into the Program
As a candidate in the Certification-Only Program, you are required to pass all of the following Praxis Series Tests prior to being accepted into the program:
- the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators-Reading, Writing, and Mathematics or meet one of the Praxis exclusion eligibility requirements-pass the ACT with a composite score of 22 or higher OR pass the SAT with a score of 1030 or higher.
- the Praxis II subject-specific Content Knowledge specific to your certification area.
Registering for an Academic Internship or Teacher Internship
As a candidate in the Certification-Only Program, you are required to pass all of the following Praxis Series Tests prior to registering for an academic internship or a teacher internship in addition to the Praxis Series Test required for admissions into the program:
Admission into the Program
As an undergraduate candidate, you are required to pass all of the following Praxis Series Tests prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program:
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators-Reading, Writing, and Mathematics or meet one of the Praxis exclusion eligibility requirements-pass the ACT with a composite score of 22 or higher OR pass the SAT with a score of 1030 or higher.
NOTE: You should register for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators no later than the semester in which 45 hours will be completed.
Registering for Student Teaching
As an undergraduate candidate, you will not be assigned to a school and/or a cooperating teacher by the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences for student teaching unless you pass all of the following Praxis Series Tests:
- the Praxis II the subject-specific Content Knowledge test. *Middle School Education majors must pass Content Knowledge tests in two focus areas.
the Praxis II grade-level-appropriate Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test.
NOTE: Candidates are encouraged to schedule the PLT after the completion of the Classroom Management Course.