Are you wondering what the Praxis tests measure and why are you required to take these tests? The Praxis tests are designed to measure your skills and knowledge. To pass the test, you need to be skilled, be knowledgeable, be prepared and confident, and be registered.
Remember, the Praxis test requirements are different for the following programs:
- Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Program
- Certification-only Program
The Praxis tests are required for anyone who is applying for initial certification in Louisiana. The test consist of two parts:
- Praxis Subject Assessments -The Praxis Subject Assessments measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that you need to begin teaching. Therefore, you are required to pass the subject-specific Praxis Content Knowledge (Ex. Elementary Education: Content Knowledge) and the grade-level-appropriate Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) (Ex. Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades K-6) test for your certification area.
Be knowledge about the Praxis test name, test number, and qualifying scores needed for your certification area. Visit ETS-Louisiana Test Requirements to learn more about the requirements.
Be Prepared & Be Confident.
We are aware that you may be feeling stressed and overwhelmed while trying to prepare for the Praxis tests. We are here to help relieve your stress, so relax. We have several resources available to help you to be prepared and to be confident that you will succeed in meeting the Praxis requirements for the Certification-Only Program and the Undergraduate Program.
There are several ways you can also prepare for the Praxis test:
- Visit the 240 tutoring website for free Praxis practice tests.
- Visit the Instructional Materials Center in Maxim Doucet Hall Room 101 to check out test preparation books.
- Visit the ETS-Praxis Test Preparation to purchase and download the Praxis eBook created by ETS test-makers for your certification area.
- Visit the Learning Express Library to access free practice exams. After you create your free account, search the term "praxis" to access these practice exams.
- Visit Study to learn using free video lessons, study guides, flashcards, practice test, and courses that fit your learning style.
Below is additional Praxis Study Materials for Secondary Education and Teaching majors or Art or Music Education majors.
Using the free Praxis Study Companion is a smart way to prepare for the test so you can do your best on test day. The Study Companion guide can help keep you on track and make the most efficient use of your study time. The Praxis Study Companion contains practical information and helpful tools, including:
- An overview of the Praxis tests
- Specific information on the Praxis test you are taking
- A template study plan
- Study topics
- Practice questions and explanations of correct answers
- Test-taking tips and strategies
- Frequently asked questions
- Links to more detailed information
Download the Khan Academy study resources for Praxis II Content Knowledge for Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education majors.
- Praxis II Test (5002) - Reading and Language Arts
- Praxis II Test (5003) - Mathematics
- Praxis II Test (5004) - Social Studies
- Praxis II Test (5005) - Science
Don't forget to register for the Praxis tests. You can select the University of Louisiana at Lafayette as your testing center by visiting ETS-Registration,Test Centers and Dates.
Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Program
Approval for Teacher Residency I
As a teacher candidate, you will not be assigned to a school and/or a cooperating teacher by the Office of Teacher Clinical Experiences for Teacher Residency I unless the candidate has passed all of the following required Praxis tests:
- the subject-specific Praxis Content Knowledge. *Middle School Education majors must pass Content Knowledge tests in two focus areas.
the grade-level-appropriate Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test.
NOTE: Candidates are encouraged to schedule the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) after the completion of the Classroom Management Course.
Certification-Only Program-Alternative Path to Certification
Admission into the Program
As a candidate in the Certification-Only Program-Alternative Path to Certfication, you are required to pass all of the following Praxis test prior to being accepted into the program:
- the subject-specific Praxis Content Knowledge for your certification area.
Registering for an Academic Internship or a year-long Teacher Residency
As a candidate in the Certification-Only Program, you are required to pass all of the following Praxis tests prior to registering for an academic internship or a teacher residency in addition to the Praxis test required for admissions into the program: